Introduction


The Mustang pictured below (bottom) was first purchased by my father-in-law, Buddy, in 1986, in Connecticut. Shortly after, he purchased a second six-cylinder convertible and sold the pictured one to my wife's cousin, Ronnie. Dad died in 1994. When Ronnie decided to sell the car to finance an in-ground swimming pool in 2006, my wife Sharon and I decided to buy it, and brought it home to Tennessee.
The car had undergone a cosmetic restoration before Dad bought it, and apart from some minor detailing since then, was still in the same condition when we bought it.
In June 2010, I found out it was a Sprint 200, Package A, 3-speed manual transmission. And after reading an article in the archives of the Mustang Times by Jim Smart, went looking for the Broadcast (Build) Sheet. I found it wrapped around the wiring harness behind the speedometer. After a brief search to find out what all the codes meant, I realized that surprisingly little is known or published about these documents. So I decided I'd try to attempt to decode it myself. This blog is a journal of that research.
All discussions below currently pertain to only 1966 Mustangs.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

RAD NS - TRAN REG - ALT.

My decoding process has slowed down considerably as I begin to encounter the more difficult and obscure codes.

This post deals with the Radio Noise Suppressor - Transistorized Regulator - Alternator codes found in the 3rd box from the left on the second line.

The Radio Noise Suppressor is normally found by the voltage regulator - a little round can that looks similar to the condenser in a distributor (pictures below). In 1965 there was also one located at the alternator. The 1966 alternators built-in this feature. In essence, there are two of them. Their purpose was to reduce radio interference from the electrical system. Despite the fact that Ford had a code for these, and that all radio equipped cars would come with them, the build sheets I have on file don't use the Radio NS code. I suppose the presence of the radio itself was sufficient indication for line workers to install the suppressor.

 The only code I've seen in this box for Mustangs is 8 for the 42 AMP alternator. I'm finding this on all 1966 K-code cars.

12/21/10
I've attached below a description of the Alternators used for '66

RAD NS – TRAN REG – ALT.
1
55 AMP (Ford)
A
55 AMP & Regulator
2
53 AMP (Leece – Neville)
B
53 AMP & Regulator
3
60 AMP (Leece – Neville)
C
60 AMP & Regulator
4
Radio Noise Suppression
D
Noise Suppression & Regulator
5
55 AMP & Noise Suppression
E
Suppression – Regulator – 55 Amp
6
53 AMP & Noise Suppression
F
Suppression – Regulator – 53 Amp
7
60 AMP & Noise Suppression
G
Suppression – Regulator – 60 Amp
8
42 AMP ALT
H
Transistorized Regulator
9
45 AMP ALT


No comments:

Post a Comment